Saturday, 26 October 2013

Autumn on Hot Press Watercolour Paper

Autumn is in the air and I have been doing lots of little autumnal studies on Fabriano Artistico Hot Press watercolour paper.  A smooth surface is not normally what I look for in my paper.  I like to have roughness for texture.  So I was pleasantly surprised when I found I ended up liking the smoother feel of the paper.  It took a little while to get used to after having used rough or not for so long. 

I found I needed to use a creamier pigment application than normal because the lack of friction from texture allowed the pigment to spread further when dropped into water (wet in wet).  



Rosehips
Watercolour
© Laura Moore Watercolours

My rosehip painting shows how I was able to layer and create some lovely flowy blends especially where the rosehips overlap.  You can actually see the different layers of colour I used: yellow, orange, red.  




Autumnal Shrub
Watercolour
© Laura Moore Watercolours

My second attempt on FA HP paper just before I painted the Rosehips. I was still getting used to the smoothness here.   



 *     *     *     *     *  

I hope you too are enjoying the delights and colours that autumn brings. 

Thanks for looking. 



8 comments:

  1. Lovely studies and colours! I've been intending to try some of the Fabriano artistico so interesting to hear your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you for doing several, the only way to really know the paper. I tried HP but didn't really like it but must confess I gave up quickly. Your rose hips have a lovely glow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely autumnal sketches...especially the rose hips. Good for you that you are experimenting with different papers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is more difficult to work on the smooth surface of the Fabriano , but you did two lovely paintings , perfect for the season. I specially love the rose hips, beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never painted on hp paper, so I have no idea how that is. I like all the paintings, especially the rose hips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are lovely Laura. I too, have been enjoying the lovely colors of Autumn. Happy painting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful paintings Laura! I love the colors and textures you have achieved with the smoother paper. It can be challenging to use hot press, sometimes, but you have obviously no trouble switching around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the colors of the rosehips. It's a beautiful painting. I know that HP paper is smooth but I have never tried it yet. Maybe I'll make an experiment with it soon. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to contact me with any enquiries regarding my artwork. Thank you for taking an interest in my art.