Sunday, 7 June 2015

Blackberry Leaf Study in Watercolour

Blackberry Leaf Sketch
Pen and Wash

I am currently working on a new floral idea.  I have got as far as drawing out the floral parts but I felt I needed to study blackberry leaf structure in more detail.  Sketching is collecting useful information so that I can tackle a painting in a much freer, looser and more imaginative way.  In this case I needed to understand how the leaves grow, their structural shape and how the light and shadow affects colour, tone and form. 







6 comments:

  1. I love this color study, its is so soft and romantic, I hope you are well,

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very pretty Laura! I love the colours! Taking the time to study leaves carefully is a very rewarding exercise I find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to study the structure of the leaves before starting a painting. I like the colors and feel of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sketch is beautiful as a stand alone painting! Important exercise, there are so many nuances to observe. I find them fun to do too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Laura-I have never seen BlackBerry leaves look more lovely. Beautiful friend.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to contact me with any enquiries regarding my artwork. Thank you for taking an interest in my art.