Friday, 17 July 2015

The Whimsy of Five Cows in Watercolour


“To laugh is human but to moo is bovine.”  ~ Unknown Author


The Whimsy of Five Cows

Hot Pressed paper is my favourite surface to use with watercolour.  The pigment glides effortlessly across the paper and produces wonderful blooms and blends quite easily compared to a Not or Rough paper.  Though please remember HP is a fast paper and I do not recommend it for watercolour beginners.  
  
*     *     *     *     *


Cow studies on scrap Rough and Not watercolour paper


On my car journeys around the UK it is always fascinating watching the cow breeds change as the miles flash past.   Belted cows generally means we have reached the north near Cumbria.  Highland cattle in large numbers means we have reached the top end of Scotland or the Scottish isles.   The lovely black and white cows are mainly seen where hubby and I live in the south and surrounding counties.  Geography and the different types of breeds go hand and hand.   

*     *     *     *     *

My cow studies took me down the route of individual differences between one cow and another within the same breed this week.  Just like people, animals have individual characteristics and personalities. 









6 comments:

  1. They are great, Laura! So funny, because in the Netherlands most of the cows are of the black and white variety. And as soon as you cross the border the colour of the cows changes to brown. Seeing brown cows means holiday abroad to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The do have such different characteristics from breed to breed. Good job on this. Fun to see that you did the eyes so early in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely painting, these bovine's have character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to hear about all the different breeds for the different counties. Love the quote at the top - very amusing!
    I can see you had so much fun with these cows Laura - they are very sweet and I enjoyed hearing about your process. You have captured a unique personality for each of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy seeing your work in progress and understanding how you tackled the painting. I love your cows! You have a wonderful way of breathing something unique to a subject.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Laura love your bovine faces. Such s wonderful whimsical painting. Having grown up on a farm and having these sweet animals around I have taken them for granted. You have inspired me to try capturing them with some paint. So glad to see yours.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to contact me with any enquiries regarding my artwork. Thank you for taking an interest in my art.