Saturday, 22 August 2015

Admiralty Arch Sketch in Watercolour



Despite me being a figurative painter, the subjects I tackle must not take precedence over who I am as the impressionistic watercolourist.  What I want to show in my paintings is my love for the pigment and my feelings for the world around me using my own artistic approach.   
  

Admiralty Arch
Watercolour

Having taken part in the London Urban Sketcher’s day last week around the Admiralty Arch area where observational drawing was high on the agenda, I knew I did not want to tackle this imposing, very detailed, structured subject there and then. 

The place for me to tackle this subject in watercolour was back in my studio where I could take my time to fully understand what parts of Admiralty Arch interested me in simplistic, expressive terms with lots of artistic licence thrown in.  Working in my studio allows me to distance myself from the rigidness of urban life.   

Of course I love urban sketching group days out and the social aspect of those days but when it comes to my watercolours and my creativity with them, then like Greta Garbo “I want to be left alone”.  I am sure this will not be the last time I tackle Admiralty Arch in a loose and expressive manner. 




6 comments:

  1. Nice job on the architecture of the arch. I like the light background coming through. Makes me want to walk through and explore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely contrasts of warm and cool, looks like you have captured the essence of the structure in your impressionistic style

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you captured the light here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Laura - your art/painting is always so soft and impressionistic. In fact I think it is more important to share the emotion of a place than each little detail. Makes me want to visit this lovely spot. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very expressive, Laura, beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to contact me with any enquiries regarding my artwork. Thank you for taking an interest in my art.