Monday, 17 August 2015

Urban Sketching with the USK London Group along The Mall and Trafalgar Square

Getting ready for an Urban Sketchers’ London sketchcrawl means deciding before the event which artistic approach to use.  Recently I have been concentrating on my drawing skills so pen featured heavily.  This time I decided I was going to leave my pen at home and concentrate on my loose watercolour style on Hot Press paper. 

Buildings along The Mall
Watercolour Sketch

Painted totally on location sitting on the steps near Admiralty Arch. Whilst sitting painting on my own, a group of eight interested oriental teenagers wandered over to take a closer look.  I continued to paint for a little while trying to ignore them but then I looked up and was greeted by lovely smiling faces saying hello and waving at me.  I replied and waved back.  The group then moved on without saying anything else.  I think ‘hello’ was all they could say in English. 

*     *     *     *     *

I got so engrossed in painting and chatting during the day that I forgot to take many photos.  Luckily Katherine Tyrrell, the Group Leader took loads.  Thanks to Katherine for two of the photos that I am in and for organising a lovely day for everyone.  The official account of the day can be found on the Urban Sketchers London Blog.  Link here.


Lunch time photo and art sharing time.  
Katherine's photo that is currently being used for the London Urban Sketchers Blog Banner  



The variety of work is always fabulous to see. It is also lovely to see what inspired others and how they tackled a particular subject.  It was great to see children taking part at this event too.   


Lunch time was spent picnicking and chatting on the steps near Admiralty arch.  Urban sketching days are fun and are all about connecting with the environment, the friendly company and our own individual artistic muses.   


I decided to spend the afternoon session standing against a railing in the middle of Trafalgar Square people sketching.  Not at all an easy task.  I tried to snatch quick glances and then use my memory to draw from.  Talking to other urban sketchers I have learnt to draw the part that takes my interest first and if they move off to use parts from other people to finish off.  Speed is essential so my sketches are pencil scribbles done very quickly.  Normally I would go over them in pen to tidy them up but yesterday was ‘leave my pen at home day’ as I mentioned earlier. 


    


  





7 comments:

  1. I love that you are enjoying the urban sketching so much. Nice watercolor of the building and good sketches of the people...especially considering that you were standing. I love the socializing part of the urban sketching days. You always get good tips from the other artists and information about materials to use. Thanks for sharing your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating - I really enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Laura what a wonderful sketch just using your brush-so amazing. Will be looking forward to your next Urban Sketcher Scrawl. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sketch is wonderful and love your people sketches too...always a challenge to do! Thanks for sharing the highlights of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great sketch, Laura. It looks like a wonderful event!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You produced some lovely watercolours, which can't be easy on location, and love the lively sketches of the people, looks like you had a great day out!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to contact me with any enquiries regarding my artwork. Thank you for taking an interest in my art.