Pages

Thursday, 15 October 2015

Bewick Swan in Watercolour - Coldest Winter Prediction

I found my mojo again today.  After four weeks of a dry spell, out popped this Bewick Swan.  Isn’t inspiration just bonkers how it grabs us unawares sometimes!!! 


Hubby was chatting to me today about one particular Bewick Swan that arrived in the UK 25 days earlier than the rest of the 300 strong flock.  They normally migrate to the UK to spend the winter here and this particular flock was heading for Slimbridge.  A nature reserve that I have visited in the past.  I distinctly remember that ear plugs would have been a good idea to take.  Bewick Swans are not very tuneful creatures and the noise was defeaning.

Well apparently according to weather predictions the arrival of this single little Bewick Swan heralds the beginning of a very, very cold winter in the UK.  The coldest we have had for the past 50 years.   Hubby was not too impressed to say the least with this prediction.    I must admit I think I agree with him.  Surely one solitary little swan arriving early could mean all sorts of things:  “He might have just wanted to be alone” like Greta Garbo. He may have not liked the scenic route that the others took. He might have got separated from the others.  He might just be like Usain Bolt, the fastest flying athlete of his kind.  Who knows why he arrived early.  Time will tell if we get the winter these weather people are predicting. 

In the meantime, I might just get my winter coat out ready just in case. I hope you manage to keep toasty warm during the coming winter months too.  



12 comments:

  1. Beautiful shading on the swan and I love that misty background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great Laura, glad you found the inspiration , love the strong contrast of the dark water with the white color ( or at least it is reading white ) of the swan . Mi è piaciuto anche molto tutte le tue umoristiche spiegazioni per la presenza di un singolo cigno :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see you back "in the saddle", it's a lovely painting, well worth the wait x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just gorgeous Laura. So glad you were inspired. Hope all those winter predictions are wrong...I am hearing we are to have a bad one too. Only time will tell but in the meantime am enjoying lovely autumn. Take care and have a super day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you captured the essence, so great to see your beautiful talent at work! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The painting is gorgeous, Laura! I hope they don't predict a cold winter. I'm not sure this kind of swan visits Holland as well, will have to look into that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just googled and he visits the Netherlands as well, particularly the isle of Texel in the North. Funny, and nice to know! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If only we had more control over our mojo's Laura ... they just come and go as they please. I'm glad yours is back and this beautiful swan painting proves it. I love the near-monochrome effect and the blurry background really sets off the swan beautifully. Great work!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A really beautiful sketch Laura! As far as the prediction is concerned, we have been predicted with an ultra-hot summer, possibly drought, here in South Africa, and maybe the two predictions are linked. But you're right, he could have arrived early for many or all of the reasons you mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a lovely painted watercolor, with a gorgeous light. Well done, Laura!!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to contact me with any enquiries regarding my artwork. Thank you for taking an interest in my art.