Pages

Thursday, 24 March 2016

Altered Art Journal: A Peek at a Mixed Media Crocus

When I feel uninspired by my watercolours I take a wander upstairs to my studio to have a play with my mixed media.  I use a book I bought in a charity shop as my Altered Art Journal.  Funnily enough it is a copy of “The Help” by Kathryn Stockett.  The title seemed an apt play on words for what I wanted to use it for.  I love the book and the film, so I knew I would enjoy using this as my inspiration mixed media art journal. 


Ready to use gessoed pages.  

The purple and lilac areas are watercolour.  The rest was created using acrylic wash.  

*     *     *     *     *


A couple of weeks ago I had a go at re-creating the crocus using rough cold press watercolour paper.  I found out that was not a good idea at all.  I gessoed over the crocus ready for another day and another project to be added on top. 

A few years ago I bought some vintage music sheets and today I decided to mix it up with some modern day ephemera and some wacky ideas to create a loose leaf art journal page.  Collage, acrylic paint, sharpie pen and ink blocks were the main mixed media ingredients together with a large dose of fun and plenty of relaxed art therapy.     




6 comments:

  1. Really love the creativity behind your pages. I couldn't help but chuckle you picked "the Help" as your choice of book to use! The colors and designs are really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you have done with your altered book Laura, and layering on the pages too. It gives a lovely overall effect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two beautiful works added to your journal , great creativity ! Wishing you a lovely Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is nice to see another way you use your creativity. Nice pages!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it, Laura! Mixed media is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to contact me with any enquiries regarding my artwork. Thank you for taking an interest in my art.