Thursday, 23 June 2016

Different Approaches with my Watercolours and Urban Sketches from Madeira

The sketches from my holiday in Madeira show some of the different artistic approaches I take with tackling subjects in the moment of experience.    All were drawn or painted from life and each had different objectives with the creative process.  

 

Exotic flowers and banana plants grow everywhere in Madeira. These flowers and bananas were lovely personal touches left for us in our holiday apartment.  They made interesting watercolour subjects.  


  

Both these pen and wash urban sketches were tackled from my holiday balcony.  The first was just a simple sketch done with no particular concept in mind.  With the second I was playing with the idea of simple block colour with no texture, form or shading and creating a simpler illustrative approach. 

 

Whilst hubby was watching the England v Wales football match on large screen in the centre of Funchal, I was sitting on a monument step watching and sketching the spectators.  Hubby is the third one along from the right.    

There were lots of waiting times which I filled with sketching opportunities.  My favourite of these was the streetlamp sketch.  Whilst waiting for a minibus tour early one morning, my eye was caught by the flash of red given off by the geraniums hanging from a streetlamp pole.  Geraniums always remind me of Mediterranean summers spent in Italy as a child.  I tried to accentuate the flowers with the co-ordinating coloured text. I was not too bothered about shape and form.  I just wanted a quick sketch that captured the feeling and colour of the moment.  Sometimes all that is necessary in some circumstances is just a simple expressive mark or two.  

   

I have not included all my Madeira sketches as that would get quite boring especially as I have pages of coffee cup sketches.  Having looked back at my sketches I was surprised to see how many times we stopped for a coffee break in a week.

Now it is time to review my photographs of Madeira and to see what I want to paint back in my little studio using a completely different approach yet again. 


      




7 comments:

  1. Seems like you had a super holiday! Lovely sketches, my favourites are the bananas and the streetlamp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see your sketches and your thought process for each. LOL The coffee breaks are an important part of a holiday...they prove you are relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to see, that you've spending such gorgeous holidays. Love your sketches very much. My fav. are the bananas (so I'd to share them with Judy) and the beautiful window view.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love seeing your sketches! It looks like a relaxing trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love seeing all the different ways you sketch and paint. Looking forward to seeing the studio paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Laura just such wonderful sketches of your trip. I am sure when you look back on them they will bring back lovely memories of your trip to Madeira. Have a super week friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to contact me with any enquiries regarding my artwork. Thank you for taking an interest in my art.