Saturday, 11 June 2016

Ready for Some Summer Watercolour Sketching in Madeira

This week I have been getting my sketching gear ready to take with me to Madeira.  A Portuguese island surrounded by nothing but lots and lots of water.  That little bit of information tells me that I will need lots and lots of blue pigment.    


As I have no idea what I will encounter on my travels I have decided to take a selection of papers and my favourite mediums of watercolour, pen and graphite.  My stool is staying at home this time which will restrict where I can sketch with my watercolours. 

The last time I used my stool was for my sketch trip to the British Museum.  (A few posts down. Link here )  I remember the lady door attendant jokingly said to me: “Make sure you don’t bat anyone on the head with your stool.”  We both laughed.  It was actually quite nice to encounter someone in that job with a sense of humour.  Ironically, later I did bat someone on the head with my stool and that was ‘me’.  I did it when I swung my bag onto my shoulder.  My stool sticks out of my bag a little and it tapped my head as I swung my bag.  I had never tapped my head in that way before with my stool.  I thought of the lady attendant at that point and had a little chuckle to myself.

Landscapes and people are the subjects I want to try to concentrate on during this trip. I recently ordered Sketching People by Lynne Chapman.  It talks about a number of my favourite urban sketching artists and how they sketch people with their different styles.  I have only quickly scanned through the book as I have been saving it to read on my trip.



7 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful trip, Laura! Can't wait to see the beautiful sketches you'll make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have a lovely time....living in Sicily I need lots of blue too. I fill up a water pen with the right colour blue for sketches, saves trying to make up a lot of paint in usually hot dry conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you a very nice trip, Laura. I'm waiting to see your sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a wonderful trip! I'm sure you will have a great time sketching there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Laura please have a great trip. Will be waiting to see your new sketches. Your stool story made me smile. I am so clumsy I would certainly have hit something with mine. Well take care. Hugs! P.S. love your landscape sketch too.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to contact me with any enquiries regarding my artwork. Thank you for taking an interest in my art.